After being injured in an accident, many people often believe that they can forego retaining legal representation and handle their accident claim on their own. While there is indeed no legal requirement for a person to hire an attorney after an accident, going up against the at-fault party and negotiating with insurance companies is oftentimes an unwise move. As insurance adjusters, doctors, law enforcement bombard you with requests and paperwork, it can be confusing to know what your rights are or who is on your side. A personal injury lawyer can help you make sense of your situation and ensure your best interests are guarded at all times.
If you have been injured, it is important you consider the following benefits of hiring an attorney:
- Experienced guidance: A veteran personal injury lawyer will have dealt with several claims similar to yours and will be able to tell you from the get-go whether or not it is worth it to take legal action, potentially saving you from the hassle and expense of litigation.
- No risk: A large number of personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning that their fee is paid as a set percentage of your settlement. Under this type of arrangement, you will not have to pay a cent for their services unless they are successful on your behalf. This serves to both save you from the financial burden of legal fees and align your attorney’s best interests with yours, providing them with an incentive to secure the best possible outcome for your case.
- Avoid red tape: The last thing you need after being injured is to sift through stacks of dense legal documents, intentionally confusing insurance regulations, medical terminology, and court paperwork on your own. An attorney can help you identify the documents you need and work through the mountain of paperwork on your behalf, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
- Objective perspective: Emotions can easily crowd your judgment after an accident and hinder your ability to review the facts with a clear head. For example, while you may feel desperate to settle quickly under the stress of medical expenses and lost wages, chances are good that the first offer you receive will be far less than what you actually deserve. An attorney will likely advise you to avoid making a rash decision and wait for a better offer.
- Achieve a smoother resolution: Complex litigation may not always be necessary to resolve your case. Your attorney can help you pursue alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation or arbitration, saving you from the cost, energy, and frustration of a trial.
- Maximize your compensation: Personal injury attorneys are well-versed in the common tactics of insurance companies and other lawyers and can use their insight to help you pursue a settlement or verdict that is far greater than what you would have been able to recover on your own.
Injured? Contact Foley Griffin Today
If you have been injured as a result of another party’s negligent or careless actions, it is crucial you review your legal options with a knowledgeable attorney as soon as possible. At Foley Griffin, our Nassau County personal injury lawyers have secured millions in verdicts and settlements on behalf of injured clients and can provide the knowledgeable guidance you need to maximize your financial recovery. From car accidents to slip and falls, we have what it takes to ensure your wellbeing is protected.
Call (888) 966-8480 or contact us online today to find out more about how our team of award-winning advocates can assist you.