Nassau County Tax Evasion Attorneys
Serving Clients Throughout Long Island and All Five Boroughs. Call (888) 966-8480 Today!
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) takes tax evasion and fraud quite seriously, imposing lengthy prison sentences and stiff fines for those who actively avoid paying their share of income taxes. Due to the complexities of the tax code, however, sometimes honest mistakes may appear like criminal activity.
If you are currently under investigation for tax evasion in New York, our tax evasion attorneys at Foley Griffin are prepared to protect your rights and future when facing penalties for various types of tax evasion.
Trust Foley Griffin with Your Case
The following are examples of the criminal tax issues we handle:
- Tax evasion
- Preparing false returns
- Will failure to file a tax return
- False withholding statements
- Concealing sources of income
- Destruction of records
- Overstating deductions
- Aiding and abetting tax fraud
Tax Evasion Laws & Penalties
The IRS recognizes two main forms of tax evasion: evasion of payment and evasion of assessment. If an individual hides their assets after a tax becomes due or owing, this is considered attempt to evade payment. If an individual transfers assets to prevent the IRS from determining an accurate tax liability, it is considered an attempt to evade assessment.
Tax evasion is considered a felony, no matter how much money you owe. In order to obtain a guilty verdict, the prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt every element of the offense.
The following are the basic elements of tax evasion:
- An attempt to either evade tax payment or assessment
- A tax is due and owed
Since tax evasion is a federal crime, it is often punishable by a maximum five years and a fine of up to $250,000.
Let Us Handle Your Case Right Away
Do not get bullied by the IRS or state tax agency without having an experienced attorney on your side. Our Nassau County tax evasion lawyers are ready to aggressively and effectively fight for the best results possible.
- Looking for legal advice?
- In need of a legal consultation?
- Looking for answers?
Whether you're seeking legal advice, in need of a consultation, or simply looking for answers, Foley Griffin is here to guide you through the legal complexities and provide the clarity and support you require."
"Tom Foley and his staff were excellent throughout the entire process representing me regarding my personal injury/car accident."
- Tom Foley and his staff were excellent throughout the entire process representing me regarding my personal injury/car accident. Their experience, knowledge, and professionalism helped guide me to a successful outcome. Tom Foley and his secretary, Nicole Feuer were outstanding by keeping me informed with updates, insurance information, and helped me with all the necessary paperwork needed for my case. My family and I always felt comfortable with their friendly personalities, their professional approach, with client satisfaction results! Tom Foley and his staff provide high quality and respectful service, and I would highly recommend their firm!- T.T.