Nassau County Car Accident Attorneys
Get the Compensation You Deserve! Call (888) 966-8480 Today.
Is it worth hiring an attorney after a car accident? If you or a loved one has been in a car crash, then you understand that nothing can truly compensate you for the trauma you have suffered. But as you deal with the financial losses that follow in the aftermath of an accident, the last thing you should have to do is wrangle with a stingy car insurance company and its legal team. That’s why at Foley Griffin, LLP, our Nassau County car accident lawyers offer seasoned litigation service. We can handle all the legal challenges so that you can focus on moving forward.
Why contact our experienced car accident attorneys?
- Our trial-tested lawyers have won millions
- We bring 75 years’ combined experience
- A qualified attorney works with you throughout your case
- We offer a free consultation to evaluate your options
- We only earn a legal fee if you receive a financial recovery
We are intentional about limiting the number of personal injury and car accident cases we take on. We do this so that we can ensure each case has our undivided focus and the full force of our collective insight and resources. Our Nassau County car accident lawyers are committed to achieving the results our clients need and deserve. We are here to help you recover compensation for all your accident-related losses, from pain and suffering to medical bills and income losses. Please don’t hesitate to find out how we can be of service to you.
A Summary of Car Accident Laws in New York
New York operates under a “no-fault” system for car accidents, meaning that in most cases you will turn to your own insurance company for compensation after a collision regardless of who is to blame for the crash. Your insurance company will pay for your medical bills and other financial losses up to the limits of your personal injury protection coverage. You may only sue the other driver for losses if your losses exceed these limits and meet the state’s serious injury threshold.
Injuries are considered serious under New York’s insurance laws if they involve one or more of the following:
- Significant disfigurement
- Fractured / broken bones
- Permanent loss or significant limitation of use of a bodily organ, member, function, or system
- Injury which impairs a person’s daily activities for a minimum of 90 days in the 180 days immediately following the injury
Even if you have adequate coverage, actually receiving compensation from your insurance company may be challenging as insurance companies may use different tactics to limit or deny you coverage. For more information on New York’s auto insurance laws and how our attorneys can assist you, visit our Car Insurance FAQ page.
Insurance Companies Are Not on Your Side
Despite their upbeat ad campaigns, friendly slogans, and affable adjusters, auto insurance companies are often not on your side. In fact, insurance companies are often more concerned with guarding their own profits than helping the injured by paying claims. While many policyholders rely on insurance providers for much-needed financial assistance in the event of a collision, insurance companies are often less-than-eager to uphold their end of the bargain and may attempt to employ various tactics to delay, deny, or diminish a person’s claims. Making yourself aware of these tactics can be crucial to help you can protect your rights as a policyholder and maximize your chances of securing the compensation you deserve.
If you have filed an insurance claim, beware of the following strategies:
- Telling you that you don’t need a lawyer: An adjuster will likely tell you that you are better off without a lawyer and suggest that a lawyer will only take a large portion of your settlement. While this may make sense on the surface, research has shown that claimants with experienced legal representation consistently walk away with more money than those who choose to settle directly. Likewise, if they should deny your claim, you will have a much harder time contesting your denial on your own.
- Asking for a recorded or written statement: Insurance adjusters are trained in ways to get you to say something that they can use against you, even if it means taking your statements out of context. For example, if an insurance adjuster records a call with you and asks you how you are feeling, to which you reply “I’m doing well, thanks,” they may be able to use this statement to claim that you are “well” and do not have any serious injuries. Never, under any circumstances, submit a written statement or agree to a recorded call without the instructions of your attorney.
- Requesting an authorization for medical information: After a collision, your insurance adjuster may ask you to sign an authorization form to access your medical records. What they don’t tell you is that this authorization gives them the ability to sift through your entire personal history in search of some sort of evidence of a past affliction that could be used to falsely suggest that your injuries were due to a preexisting condition.
- Misrepresenting your coverage: If your insurance adjuster claims that your injuries are not covered, do not take their word for it until you have read through the terms of your policy. In many cases, coverage is hidden in dense legal terminology which can be uncovered with the assistance of an experienced attorney.
- Delaying payment: If you have been injured, it is likely that you are facing financial struggles due to costly medical expenses and time away from work. Insurance companies know this, and they will do everything they can to delay payment of your claim until you are desperate enough to settle for a minimal amount. An attorney can help ensure you are paid on-time and in full.
Is There a Time Limit on Car Accident Lawsuits?
Yes. Like any other injury lawsuit, car accident injury lawsuits in New York are subject to a statute of limitations which imposes a hard deadline on how long you have to file a claim. In most cases, you only have three years from the date of your crash to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. If you file a claim after this time period has passed, the state’s court system will almost certainly dismiss your case and you will be unable to seek further legal action.
When should you contact an attorney after a car accident? From a strategic standpoint, it is important to begin your car accident lawsuit early to give your attorney enough time to gather evidence and craft a compelling case. Since the statute of limitations can essentially make or break your case, it is best to act quickly and consult with an attorney as soon as possible after a crash.
How Much Could My Car Accident Claim Be Worth?
At Foley Griffin, LLP, we only take on a certain number of personal injury cases at a time, which means that if we take your car accident case, we truly believe in it and are ready to fight for your rights in trial if that is what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve. We are ready to put the full force of our collective experience, resources, and focus behind your auto accident claim. Find out how we can fight—and win—for you today.
Depending on the specifics of your case, our Nassau County accident lawyers may be able to help you recover damages including and not limited to:
- Income and earning capacity losses
- Physical pain and suffering
- Vehicle repair / replacement costs
- Medical expenses and costs of therapy
- Emotional pain and suffering
Praise From Real Clients
5 / 5 stars
Great law firm. They were very effective in getting me the money I deserved for my injuries from my car accident. Will use Foley Griffin again in the future if needed. Thanks to T. Foley, Nicole, and all the staff that helped me out in my time of need.
- Who is liable for injuries in an Uber or Lyft accident?
- New York car accident statistics
- Who is at fault for car accidents in parking lots?
- How does vehicle ownership affect a car accident case?
- How much is my car accident case worth?
- Taking photos after a car accident
- How does car insurance work in New York?
“Their experience, knowledge, and professionalism helped guide me to a successful outcome”- T.T.
“They were very effective in getting me the money I deserved for my injuries from my car accident.”- C.P.
“The degree of which the entire team cares for their clients is impeccable”- J.U.