Underage DWI Charges in NY
Seasoned Long Island County DWI Attorneys
We know that being accused of DWI can be a nerve-wracking, overwhelming experience. If you are under the age of 21 and have been pulled over on suspicion of drinking and driving, you need to protect your rights during this process. Just because you've been arrested or accused doesn't mean you are automatically guilty! Even if police officers conducted field sobriety or breath / blood tests, a seasoned DWI lawyer can challenge the evidence being used against you. When you call on Foley Griffin, you can be confident knowing your case is in proven, skilled hands.
Let our criminal defense lawyers represent you. We are ready to fight on your behalf! Call (888) 966-8480.
What Are the Penalties for Underage DWI?
New York has harsh laws for underage DWI offenses. The zero tolerance stance means that any motorist who is under the age of 21 and found with a BAC between .02 and .07 can be charged and convicted. In addition, you may also be charged with DWI if your BAC is .08 percent or higher or DWAI if your BAC is above .05 but below .08. Either way, you are facing tough penalties for a conviction of underage DWI in New York, including jail / prison time, license suspension, insurance spikes, a permanent record, probation, thousands of dollars in fines, community service, and more.
Specifically, you could be facing the following as an underage driver:
- BAC between .02 - .07 - 6-month license suspension, $125 civil fine, and $100 suspension termination fee
- Second offense with BAC between .02 - .07 - license revocation for 1 year (or until you turn 21), $125 civil penalty, and $100 license re-application fee
- Underage DWAI - 15-days behind bars, between $300 - $500 in fines, 1-year license revocation
- DWI - Up to one year in jail, between $500 - $1,000 in fines, mandatory alcohol evaluation, and 1-year license revocation
- Refusal to take a chemical test - $500 in civil fines and a 1-year license revocation
We know that this can be a very daunting and intimidating time. That is why we are here to guide you through the process, from the initial arrangement hearing through the final trial if necessary. Our goal is to craft a strong and strategic defense using all the evidence, expert witness, and information available to us. We don't rest until we build the best possible defense for our clients! As an underage individual, you have your whole life ahead of you. Don't throw it away on drunk driving charges.
Schedule a free confidential consultation by calling (888) 966-8480 today. Our DWI attorneys help clients in Suffolk and Nassau Counties, and anywhere in the five boroughs.
- Looking for legal advice?
- In need of a legal consultation?
- Looking for answers?
Whether you're seeking legal advice, in need of a consultation, or simply looking for answers, Foley Griffin is here to guide you through the legal complexities and provide the clarity and support you require."
"Tom Foley and his staff were excellent throughout the entire process representing me regarding my personal injury/car accident."
- Tom Foley and his staff were excellent throughout the entire process representing me regarding my personal injury/car accident. Their experience, knowledge, and professionalism helped guide me to a successful outcome. Tom Foley and his secretary, Nicole Feuer were outstanding by keeping me informed with updates, insurance information, and helped me with all the necessary paperwork needed for my case. My family and I always felt comfortable with their friendly personalities, their professional approach, with client satisfaction results! Tom Foley and his staff provide high quality and respectful service, and I would highly recommend their firm!- T.T.